Bullying in the workplace. We hear about it all the time. And statistically, incidences of it are on the rise.
Statistics also reveal that bullying often goes unreported in the workplace for a number of reasons, so the situation could be even worse than the statistics reveal.
According to research by the University of South Australia when compared to 31 European countries, Australia ranked sixth highest for workplace bullying. It is estimated that one in three people have been bullied in the workplace.
Employers have a legal obligation to ensure that workers operate in a safe environment. A Safe Work Australia report found depression cost Australian employers about $8billion a year because of sickness absence and presenteeism, of which $693million was due to job stress and bullying.
The Human Rights Commission puts that cost even higher stating that “workplace bullying costs Australian employers between $6 and $36 billion every year.” A staggering figure.
And workplace bullying doesn’t just hurt those involved. The wider workplace also feels the effects through lost productivity, increased absenteeism, poor morale, and time spent documenting, pursuing or defending claims.
Bullying is a serious issue in workplaces across Australia and a risk factor for anxiety, depression and suicide and needs to be addressed.
Despite the rhetoric on bullying in the workplace and organisations having policies in place to deal with claims, the problem is growing and the mental and physical health of workers are suffering, which in turn has a detrimental effect on the whole organisation, especially financially.
BullyProof at Work is a training program designed to curb the effects of workplace bullying. It;
- helps staff deal with difficult people in the workplace themselves as a first line response which frees up time for managers, HR departments and business owners
- helps to ensure workers do not develop stress, anxiety or depression as a result of bullying
- help to reduce stress and cope better with all situations so that productivity doesn’t suffer unnecessarily
- can make staff immune to the effect of bullies which effectively disarms bullies or potential aggressors
- strengthens self confidence and self empowerment
- maintains better sense of emotional balance instead of becoming involved in power struggles
- can develop a more robust and healthy workplace culture
- techniques learned in BullyProof training can help workers adapt to change
These outcomes can reduce both absenteeism, presenteeism and lost productivity which incur huge financial costs. BullyProof training can reduce the financial loss caused by the payment of claims made against employers for unsafe workplaces and stress leave. It can reduce staff turnover with all the costs and disruption involved in rehiring and retraining.
BullyProof is unique in that its main aim is staff welfare which has a major positive impact on all aspects of the workplace and business. Although it is not specifically aimed at trying to stop bullying, that can be a spin off effect of the training as it takes away the ‘food source’ that bullies need to operate. It is a far more effective training than programs which focus on recognising bullying and raising awareness.
BullyProof changes perception around workplace interactions and places the power back in the hands of targets or indeed any worker who is susceptible to stress or strained conditions.
BullyProof is a 4 hour training with an optional but highly recommended 2 hour follow up two weeks later.